Go Heritage 2019 - Day 4

Project Africa
Go Heritage 2019 - Day 4 (6/29/19)

The rains have cleared away and here comes the SUN! Today was such a magnificent day. As the sunshine brightened the entire day, we got to soak in those golden rays along with the beauty of the art that filled the agenda for the day, which included Nike Centre for Art & Culture, Nimbus Art Gallery, and Freedom Park.
Outdoor sculpture garden at Nike
As we pulled up to the great white fences adorned with giant sculpted faces, I knew right away this would be an incredible experience. The anticipation was not disappointed. It may actually have been an undershot to the awe-inducing views that lay beyond those doors.
Nike Art Centre entrance gate
We walked into a beautiful 3 story art mecca engulfing us in a sea of color, texture, design, creativity, talent, and skill. I was just so amazed by the artworks and the jewelry and cloths and even the people that made the bustling centre so great.
clothing & accessories designed for purchase at Nike 
jewelry at Nike
Nigerian friends
Tall neck statues 
It amazes me sometimes how small the world is. As soon as I walked into Nike, I spotted a woman and told my friends "she looks just like a woman I know from LA". Someone close by overheard and responded "well we are from LA so that might be her!" I immediately approached and it indeed was! She introduced me to her group
Patrice and Rahkua
As we prepared to leave, I was fortunate enough to meet Mama Nike, artist and artist curator for so many works.
Rahkua and Chief Nike Davies Okundaye
The next art hub we visited was Nimbus Art Gallery where I was able to set up a performance for this coming Thursday! I am so excited to once again share my artistic talents in a place that has shared so much of its culture and art with me already.
Nimbus Art Gallery sign
large wooden bench in lounge area
warrior art piece
The last stop on the art excursion was Freedom Park, renamed from Her Majesty's Broad Street Prisons after Nigerians won independence from colonial rule. The heritage site is now a peaceful national landmark thriving with art, culture, and history.

KNOW YOURSELF. HONOR YOUR PAST. FORGE YOUR FUTURE.

Amani,
Rahkua

Project Africa: Los Angeles
Educate. Empower. Enlighten

GoFundMe.com/GoHeritage2019

Comments

Popular Posts