Go Heritage 2019 - Day 9

Project Africa
Go Heritage 2019 - Day 9 (7/4/19)


It's interesting being in a foreign country on the day of America's "independence". There is no celebration, no fireworks, no BBQ, no rousing discussions acknowledging sordid history. It is just another day greeted by the susurration of rainfall outside my windowpane. Though, today has always been special for me because it is my father's birthday. He celebrates 73 years today. I am reminded of the years of artistic enrichment and cultural appreciation my parents instilled as I prepare for tonight's performance in Lagos, Nigeria!

I started my morning with a breakfast of orange juice, plantains, pancakes, assorted fruits, and sautéed potatoes. There are no huge plans until the evening because I want to be well rested and mentally prepared for the amazing opportunity to share my art on yet another stage in the Motherland. After breakfast, I sat for my daily 30 minute meditation session before spending some time reading one of me and my mom's favorite authors, Walter Mosley. I engulfed myself in a couple hours of tantalizing chapters in the thrilling adventures of Easy Rawlins in Cinnamon Kiss before getting up to rehearse my pieces for the night's show. 

We arrived 2 hours early to Bogobiri House in Ikoyi for a soundcheck with the house band. The lighting was set to a calming evening jazz mood and the staff was busy at work hanging paintings and preparing the venue for the soon arriving guests. The band learned my music quickly and we did a run through before settling in as the people started rolling in.
Soundcheck with The Veteran Band
Soundcheck with The Veteran Band
It was a packed house! There were so many people celebrating birthdays and just ready to have a great time. The crowd exploded with applause as our gracious host, Femi Aribisala, introduced "first time American performer, RAHKUA"! The reception from the crowd throughout my whole time onstage was so welcoming and invigorating, and energetic, and encouraging. In general there was so much talent in the building. One of my favorite performances was from Idris King who spit his single "Touché" with great energy and skill as The Veteran Band kept perfect rhythm and time. It was a such a great night! 
 Rahkua performing at Bogobiri with The Veteran Band
 Rahkua performing at Bogobiri with The Veteran Band
Rahkua performing at Bogobiri with The Veteran Band

KNOW YOURSELF. HONOR YOUR PAST. FORGE YOUR FUTURE.

Amani,
Rahkua

Project Africa: Los Angeles

Educate. Empower. Enlighten



Comments

Popular Posts