The Voyage - Day 14

Project Africa
The Voyage - Day 14 (8/4/15)

"TODAY IS THE DAY! Today I get the EPIC experience of performing with a LIVE band in Accra, GhanaAFRICA!"


We left Elmina early Tuesday morning headed back to Accra. On the the way we stopped at Kakum National Park for a scenic walk on the Kuntan Trail surrounded by myriad trees with various medicinal properties. There are even several cocoa trees and the precious commodity is just laying on the ground, having fallen, and easily accessible. After a seemingly never-ending uphill trek through the rain forrest with the light susurration of droplets surrounding us, we arrive at the "Canopy Walkway". It is a 1,150 feet long, 130 ft high walkway made of wooden planks, aluminum bracing and rope netting. YES! IT IS DEFINITELY AS SCARY AS IT SOUNDS! Somehow I was still able to enjoy the breathtaking view and get a little video footage too! It'll be posted on the Donor Facebook Page. At the bottom of the trail we enjoyed some fresh, sweet, and refreshing coconut water straight from the coconut expertly cracked open with a machete right in front of us for only 2 cedis (50¢)!

TODAY IS THE DAY! Today I get the EPIC experience of performing with a LIVE band in Accra, GhanaAFRICA! As everyone else got settled into our beautiful rooms at the Regency Hotel in Accra, I headed off to +233 Jazz Bar & Grill for sound check! It was a good sound check but I was a little nervous about not having backup singers since I was performing with a live band so wouldn't have the luxury of my track's background vocals…but I decided the tradeoff was definitely worth it so opted to stick with the band instead of employ the performance tracks.
I had some delicious pizza from the kitchen there and headed back to the hotel for hair, makeup, and wardrobe. By 9:30pm GMT I was being called onto the stage by Frank Kissi & The Electric Band!!! IT WAS AMAZING! I crooned and serenaded the crowd as the cool Ghanaian breeze refreshed the beautiful night air. I was surrounded by an energetic crowd of the club's patrons, my awesome travel companions, and even a couple recently acquired Ghanaian friends who drove all the way from surrounding cities to see the show. Again, I say, it felt SO amazing. It one of those unparalleled, unforgettable, transcendent experiences that impact the REST of your life. THANK YOU for giving me that chance! 

For those that selected the "Performance DVD" perk they are being mailed out soon :) For those that would like to get your own copy of the show, please visit www.projectafrica.bigcartel.com and order!

Amani,
Rahkua

Project Africa: Los Angeles

"A group of conscious artists endeavoring to enrich our spirit and art through cultural immersion into our historical origins"

GoFundMe.com/ProjectAfricaReturn

Comments

Popular Posts